The Rigging Supervisor is responsible for the smooth running of the rigging pipeline. This will require maintaining existing technology, integrating third-party technology, and designing and implementing all-new, proprietary technology. This is a broad role which encompasses many departments and disciplines, including but not limited to: modeling, texturing, rigging, creature FX, (including at least fur, cloth, soft-body deformations), and animation.
The Rigging Supervisor is expected to have a holistic view of the pipeline and be able to design or help design and maintain a smooth and efficient pipeline for rigging photorealistic CG assets.
The Rigging Supervisor will work collaboratively with the leads of many other departments. He or she must have a strong understanding of CG pipelines and production methods and a strong management style with excellent organizational and artistic skills. He or she must also be able to work with the global teams of the other Method facilities and attend meetings regularly. Occasional travel to other Method locations might be required. The Rigging Supervisor will work closely with the CG and Animation Teams to ensure that the productions’ needs are understood and met, and that animators have fast, efficient, intuitive puppets.
The Rigging Supervisor should be comfortable managing teams, (including interviewing, scheduling, and mentoring artists). He or she is also required to develop a deep understanding of the studio pipeline, work within it, and ensure that his/her artists are doing the same.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create and develop fast elegant character rigs using Maya and select proprietary tools
- Work with Modeling and Animation departments to facilitate articulate realistic appealing characters
- Integration of characters and rigs into the production pipeline
- Create User Interfaces and tools to assist animators
- Work in partnership with R&D programmers, Animators, and Lighting tds to ensure shots are delivered to the very highest standard
- Provide support to character rigs throughout production
- Develop long-term strategies to automate character production
- Collaborate with rigging supervisors from Method's international facilities to share ideas and ensure standards and consistency
- Minimum 5 years work experience in Feature film/broadcast VFX production, with 2 or more years supervising
- Solid knowledge of rigging systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of Maya
- Provide reel, demonstrating both control systems and complex deformations
- Solid time and project management skills - accessibility and willingness to collaborate is a must
- Thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to character rigging and animation comprehension of core principles relating to rigging
- Excellent understanding of anatomy, structure, dynamics, and character motion
- Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling to texturing, animation and rendering
- MEL and Python programming essential
- Maya API C++ programming also a plus